Lately, I have been addicted to this very healthy version of a tex-mex turkey style salad. If you have a little “ole” in you and enjoy Mexican food, this is a must have. It is a very clean, protein and nutrient packed meal. Due to my strict competition training diet, I cannot have any oil based or creamy dressings so instead of the creamy ranch or avocado cilantro dressing recommended below, I blend Rice vinegar, cilantro, a dash of Stevia and dijon mustard for mine. You can also add beans or corn as a variation.
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups salsa/pico-de-gallo (tomato, red onion, garlic, cilantro and lime)
- 3 teaspoons Mrs. Dash SALT FREE Taco Spice
- 8 cups torn romaine/kale mixed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Optional toppings: chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips and dressing of choice- Avocado Cilantro or Creamy Ranch pair perfectly!
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in salsa, beans (if you are using), taco powder; heat through.
- Divide greems among four plates. Top with turkey mixture; sprinkle with cilantro and toppings of your choice. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
And hey, a little Corona alongside would be a great addition. I will indulge in that in about 18 weeks!